This repository is a modified version of sample Android Launcher, a.k.a. Home, from Android SDK. This page contains the APK of the versions. APK is made for and tested on Galaxy SIII. Occasionally, I may test APK on Galaxy Note 8.0 Wi-Fi. For the code changes, see commit in GitHub repo - commit message will explain some stuff.
*The dates listed below will be the date of testing of APK - e.g. code is committed on 5 February but built and ran on device only on 15 February; the date listed will be 15 February instead of 5 February.
26 April 2014
- Added hideApplications() call to back button press in Home.java
- If the app list windows is opened, it will be closed upon pressing back button.
8 March 2014
- Layout changes in XML files:
- App listing is changed to top-to-bottom.
- Horizontal spacing is increased.
- Vertical spacing is increased.
- Added Apache license to source code.
- App listing of bottom-to-top was thought to be normal implementation but since it is unnatural and possible to change, now it becomes top-to-bottom, i.e. from A-to-Z. This also results in no unexpected gap at the top left of app list if the app numbers are not exact.
- Vertical and horizontal spacing is increased. This could still be improved, though, since it was unclear which spacing definition would be better to be changed: of the container or per element. Also, app name is still cut even after increasing vertical spacing; this needs a bit more digging.
- Added license due to some recent article about how not putting license explicitly means the repo is not open source.
27 February 2014
- Changed text size from using dip to sp.
- Some refactoring of names.
- Added lint suppressor.
- Change of text size from dip to sp should make the font to have correct size on different screen sizes - the reason I tried installing in my Galaxy Note. There was no visible difference, though, on both Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note 8.0.
- Renaming of method should not have any impact.
- No warning for button press adapter in Eclipse; ultimately the suppressor should be removed on later updates.
3 February 2014 #2
- Wallpaper bound is calculated to be centered.
- Wallpaper is centered - I tested some wallpapers and found no bugs for now.
3 February 2014 #1
- Icon size used from resources is changed to commented function call.
- Added SDK specification to manifest file.
- Icon resolution no longer broken - I tried not adding SDK specification and playing with icon size and icon resource interchangebly, but the resolution is still broken. You need these changes and changes from 26 January 2014 on icon size to make the icon resolution to be sharp. Using icon size of 42 (i.e. reverting changes from 26 January 2014) will make icons in recent app stack at the bottom of the home screen to be very small.
- Application titles are still cut off - I believe this needs rework on margin of icon.
26 January 2014
- Icon size is changed to be the commented function call.
- Icon is displayed larger - you could see some of the letters being cut off because of the bigger icon. I believe that's because now the application calls for bigger icon to be used, but rendered wrongly so that it is enlarged thus the low resolution look.
09 January 2014
Compiled initial sample project files with all localization values removed. The icon resolution is broken for the phone.